If you are (still) a Labour Party member, please try to become a delegate to this yer’s conference (September 25-29, Brighton). There are few important things left-wingers can campaign around:
1. David Evans will have to be ratified by conference as the new general secretary – the more delegates from the CLPs and unions vote against him, the bigger the impact.
2. Please try to move a rule change – they have to be submitted by your CLP by June 11.
– Labour in Exile Network have drafted a rule change to get rid of ‘fast track expulsions – click here.
– The Labour Left Alliance have drafted a rule change to allow CLPs to start a leadership challenge – click here
– Socialist Appeal are proposing a rule change motion to lower the threshold of nominations required to launch a leadership challenge and introduce motions of no confidence at conference to force a ‘vacancy’ and trigger a leadership contest – click here.
– CLPD wants to make the Parliamentary Labour Party more accountable – click here
3. You can also move a contemporary motion – they have to be submitted by your CLP by September 13. We recommend this very good motion here, which would commit the party to ditch IHRA and adopt the Jerusalem Declaration instead. See more about this issue in our video posted below. If you are a member of the Labour Party, please submit motions to your next branch and CLP meeting so that they can go forward to conference.
-> However, even if you’re not a delegate or not a member of the Labour Party, it is worthwhile coming along to Brighton: A few organisations on the left are in advanced discussions about hosting a series of events during this year’s conference in Brighton – it’s definitely worth coming along! More details to follow asap.